Wednesday 11 December 2013

Elect by Rachel Van Dyken

"The men were watching and hopefully so was my father. He'd think I'd tied up one loose end. Oddly enough, this might make him play perfectly into my hands. The sick thing was, that as much as I'd asked all my men to protect her, nobody ran to my side when I shot her - nobody blinked. My family officially sucked."
~Elect

Would you die for the one you love?
Nixon Abandonato made his choice. And now he has to pay the price. Tracey is the love of his life, but being with him has made her a target of his family's enemies. The only way to keep Trace alive is convince the world she means nothing to him. 

Trace Rooks has fallen irrevocably in love with the son of her family's sworn rival, and she knows in her bones nothing can tear them apart. Until Nix suddenly pushes her away and into the arms of his best friend... But Trace isn't ready to give up on a future with Nix--and if he won't fight for them, she will. 

In the end, a sacrifice must be made. A life for a life. For what better way to cover a multitude of sins than with the blood of a sinner . . .


Arya: Again, I was stepping out of my comfort zone when I read this, and damn am I glad I did! It took me until the third page or so until I decided I had no idea what was happening and had to read the first book, Elite - by the way, that book so good I could barely put it down, not even when I had to sleep because my parents were yelling at me. Afterwards, when I was done Elite, I could barely wait to get my hands on Elect. It's very hard to say that this book didn't disappoint me just a little bit. Sure, the plot line was great, but I found it moved a bit slow paced for me. There were so many intricacies that I almost found it hard to breathe, and there were so emotions that almost made me fear for my own life, but everything was moving along so slowly it made it hard to really concentrate on the plot itself. Of course there were the customary intense and 'wait what?' scenes, but they were few and far in between, making the middle just a mess of emotions. Generally, I love reading from the guy's point of view, but this one? Ah, not really to my own taste.
Nixon: Damn, I'd love to hate him, and I almost did when I read Elite, but damn, that boy makes it very hard to hate him! In this book, we finally see the emotions behind the man, and why he did things the way he did. I'd love to label him under Cute Bastards, but I can't do that either! The man is noble to almost a fault! Except that cutesy part that I love. It's so adorable I was smiling like a fangirl and my parents asked me what was wrong with me. Still, all the raw emotions in him really came out in this book and made me groan and curse when Trace was hurting him, even though she didn't know it. I really wanted to take her and smack her a few times and yell if she was blind. Because really, she kind of acts it, and I'm not even joking about that. The final entrance right there at the end? Man, that was truly a work of art. I was holding my breath and cheering him on the entire time! I just love him, I love his devotion to Trace and his nobility. He really is a truly admirable person, probably the most admirable I've read in a long time, though he does have a tendency to overdo it a bit...
Chase: What to say about him? Damn, I wanted to smack him as many times as I wanted to cry for the unfairness of his situation, and let me tell you, that was more than I like to admit. The entire time, I knew Chase was in love with Trace from the first book, but in this one, we finally see the full extent of his suffering. It isn't some minor, measly crush, oh no. This is a full on I'm-going-to-lose-my-mind-if-I-don't-have-you love. I'd like to say that he, like his cousin, is noble, but if I did, I'd be lying. He's a lot more selfish than Nixon, and in a way, it makes him a bit more believable, and no less sexier. The way he dealt with things while Nixon was gone? One would be hard pressed to find a better way to act than he did. There's so little to say about Chase, other than what was said above, and his relationship with Mil. Damn, that ending? My mouth just dropped. Seriously. I had no idea at all what to say to it. Of course, right before that is the redemption scene, when the cousins forgive each other and all is kind of right again. At first, when I read that I was like, 'yeah, this is gonna be a good ending', and then I saw that last line. The only word that ran through my brain was 'what?'. Over and over again. I read that line so many times it flashed before my eyes. Shocked is too weak a word for what I felt. Just... damn. But a hell of a good ending.
Definitely a great book. Not as great as the first one, but still pretty decent. The intricacies and twists in this plot were absolutely to die for, and really kind of reminded me of Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass. They both have this ingenuity to the twisting that just takes my breath away and makes me wonder if the authors are geniuses. I loved the twists and I loved the emotions in this book. I absolutely can't wait for Entice to come out.

8.5 stars! Well done! 
Can't wait to read the next books of this series!
I'm seriously going to be counting the days until it comes out.

I'm afraid that's it for today, but not to worry! We'll have something up again as soon as we can! But until then, from our Infinite Worlds to yours,
much love,
~Kay and Arya

No comments:

Post a Comment