Monday 13 January 2014

Barely Breathing by Rebecca Donovan

“I breathed for you... I begged for you to breathe with every breath I gave to you. I kept pleading for you to breathe over and over again. And then… then you did."
~Evan, Barely Breathing

Emma’s struggle with an abusive home life came to a heart pounding conclusion in the final chapters of Reason to Breathe. Now everyone in Weslyn knows Emma’s secret, but Carol can’t hurt Emma anymore. Some are still haunted by the horror of that night, and some must face the repercussions of their choices. Fans of Rebecca Donovan’s debut novel will discover there’s still much to learn about Emma’s life.

Arya: There are just too many things to say. I can't get it out on the screen or I swear you'll be reading for an hour... or more. No promises. Anyway, from my last post, you probably know that I was like almost crying to get this book in my hands. I was begging, and screaming to go to the library, and when I got it... I was horribly disappointed. That was the first emotion I felt upon opening the book. Seriously, what happened to the scene with her waking up?! Or getting saved for that matter? That happened through a lot of the book actually... the scenes with the most action were either skipped over or had too little description to completely satisfy me. Still, it was something I could look over when I read the actual book. Admittedly, it wasn't as great as the first one, but it was still pretty damn good! There was a little less of a need to cry, but there was still enough of it to make me swoon now. Thinking back on it just makes me want to read it again... or go out to buy the series. You should do that. Seriously. It was one hell of a boss book. The emotions it took me through just made me fall in love with the characters all over again, except for Emma. Her I wasn't so hot about during this book. Like, I get it and all, but damn. It's hard to wrap my mind around even though I'd probably be doing the same thing if thrust in her situation.
Evan: Let's start with him, because I like him. This book just... I don't really know how it made me feel. I was indignant on his behalf, I was freaking PISSED OFF for him, and most of all, I was sad about what was going on with Emma behind his back. His instincts were spot on, but his trust in her? Perhaps a bit misplaced. Not to say that she didn't deserve it, but she didn't deserve it nearly that much. At the end though, during the fight? Man, that boy might have been a bit immature and letting his emotions rule him, but having a guy for you is always hot, but it bothered me a bit. He let his emotions get in the way of his usual logical thinking. Of course, he was under the impression that his girlfriend was cheating on him with his mother's boyfriend of all people, but really, he could have at least listened to Emma... it didn't help that Jonathan was majorly provoking him though. That I can't really blame.
Emma: So many times. So many damn freaking times in this book I wanted to smack the living daylights out of her! Like seriously! All that stuff I said in my last review about her being noble and stuff? Yeah, totally take that back now. It's almost like she's incapable of finding middle ground, varying between noble to a fault and unbelievably selfish. This was on the bad end of the spectrum. Of course, after all that's happened to her, maybe she deserved some time to be like that, but man, that was taking it way too far. I mean, trust Jonathan over Evan? I could have slapped her. Again, I can't exactly blame her; Jonathan did kind of share her experiences, so perhaps she felt a kinship with him. But still, she shouldn't have gotten so close to him! He was dating her mother for goodness sakes! And while I'm on the topic of her mother, my heart just broke for Emma when dear Mommy came into the picture. What kind of mother blames her own daughter for her husband's death? I was almost jumping with joy when the Charles came in to talk about her father's inheritance for her. I was that happy. Her mother didn't deserve that title. She was horrible. She should have stayed the hell away from Emma, or at least not given her up! The poor girl went through hell because of her! Man, I hated her so much. She basically guilted her father into staying by saying she was pregnant with her child, just because she didn't want him to leave her. What a disgusting woman. Emma really got the bad hand with all the parental business. I wish I could rant some more, but I've already taken up a lot of room, so, let's end it off.
The ending... the damn ending. Again it made me beg for the last book. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. What was Emma going to do after the fight? Was she going to leave Evan there? Or was she going to go get him help? He was wounded pretty badly after all. I just couldn't wait. Those words she said to Jonathan though, were damn harsh. She was weak in the first book and so noble it broke me, but in this one, she definitely became like a tiny ball of pure fury and agony. That's the best way I can think of to describe her. What other cause would you have to hurt the people closest to you?

Searching around in my brain, la la la, let's find a number!
9 stars out of 10! Congratulations! 
What an amazing book!

Yeah... I couldn't find a book trailer for this one either, but next one, promise!
Until then, keep reading!
Much love,
~Kay and Arya

No comments:

Post a Comment